Thursday, May 21, 2009

Chicken and Lentel soup

This is the first blog in my new food page I thought should be a fast and easy to prep(but healthy) meal. I choose Chicken and lentil soup for the protein packed goodness of the two main ingredients! First I started off by browning my boneless chicken thighs(the dark meat has more flavor and stays moist)over medium heat, in a little garlic and about a tsp of EVOO(so not to burn the garlic). About 4 thighs should do fine. Brown and remove to cool and set.

After that, I added about 1/2 a cup of a good Chicken stock just to deglaze the pot of the chicken brownings, You can make your own (stock)if you have the time but again this is a fast and easy dish. I used a famous brand(Rachel Ray), because I knew it would make James cringe, but you can do what you want. Oh, and no need to salt much in this dish do to the stock having enough already. I finished adding the rest of the 4 cup container of stock to the pot(on high), then pour in 1 cup of lentils(rinsed and cleaned) to the mix, add pepper and a little more garlic to taste... home stretch time. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover.
While the soup is simmering go ahead and chop up the chicken you put aside earlier. You can lightly salt if you want, but it's up to you. At this point I should have crisped up some fresh bacon for some added flavor(next time) and a kicked up southern flair. Once you have chopped the chicken(and bacon :)... ) you can just add it in to the mix. Let the soup simmer for about 45mins or until the lentils stop floating? I don't make this stuff up people.
I like to add some parm/Romano cheese to it after most of the broth is absorbed to give it a creamy savory taste... or not... you could add chili powder, cumin anything you want it's a very versatile dish and so good! Also I think next time I might grill the chicken to add another depth of flavor. Enjoy!

I would have taken a pic of it in the bowl with my home made croutons... but the battery died on me. But you can take pic's of yours and send them to me! Till next time...

1 comment: